Vancouver and the Island

To help me organize my thoughts I will make this post in small sections each pertaining to a small part of the trip.

Boat Cleaning

In Vancouver I helped my uncle with the cleaning of his boat. This is a rather large undertaking as it requires a massive boat life to lift his rather large boat. Then it required some elbow grease and a pressure washer to clean off the barnecles. Coincidentally I started reading Moby Dick while I was on the boat with him.







Art Show

My aunt had an art show opening while I was in town. Her paintings are still lifes painted in a realistic manner from photographs. It is an extremely interesting technique that looks fantastic and causes the images to become more abstract as you approach them.

I worked as the events photographer. That seems to be something I am starting to do alot on this trip.





My Erin's Rats

My cousin Erin got some rats as pets. They seem like really great pets. Always very active and seem really robust. They are also pretty cute little animals.





Ping-pong

As a kid I was always trying to be good at things. One of those things was ping pong, and I knew I was good at ping pong when I started to beat my dad sometimes. It seems it is time to pass the torch already as my cousin Halley can now beat me in Ping pong. It is very impressive.

High School Friends

I also had the opportunity to meet up with friends from highschool. I saw Kim, Lauren and Mike. I really like how well I can still get along with my friends from highschool. I can tell now that those friendships are actually going to exist for a long time.




Vancouver in Brief

There was all sorts of stuff happening in Vancouver, but most of all it was nice just to sort of be part of the family living there. I got to know what it was like to live in their house with them and see the world in a slightly different way than I do at home. Vancouver is a nice place to be.

Ferry

The bus is the best way to take the ferry to Vancouver Island. Your first on and first off and don't have to wait in any lines. I refused to buy a 10$ burger on the ferry trip and thus was very hungry. My supply of raisins and nuts had run out. I have since refilled it.

Meeting the family

It is most intersting to be on the Island because it is the first time I have seen my cousins in about 12 years. It has been a very long time.

The Island

The simplest way I could describe being on the island is that it is like being at the lake indefinitly. It is sort of like being on vacation all of the time, except you need to work. Everyone here is so friendly, and everyone seems to know everybody. I've met alot of people while I have been here. What is really surprising is my ability with names here. I think I have actually met about 30 people whose names I actually remember in only 5 days. That doesn't happen often.

The Avalanche

I have spent a few nights here at the bar that my cousin Leegion works at. Most nights I have been bringing my camera to photograph whatever show is playing to help with some advertising later.






Leegion's Birthday

I happen to have great timing and arrived in time to go to my cousin's Birthday. We had a great time at he Avalanche bar listening to some a Blue Grass Band. They let some of the guys from our party play their bass. At the end of the night, my cousin David, his friend, and my Aunt Gail also went up and sang some songs. It unexpected, but a blast. Too bad I hadn't brought my audio recorder to that.








Nymph Falls

I went with my cousin David and his girlfriend to Nymph Falls. Just beautiful.






More stuff has happened here, but there is just too much to tell. I shall probably be departing on Tuesday. I'm thinking I might just make a huge bus run all the way down to San Francisco. It's only 42 hours away by bus.

Summer 2009

Kyler

2 comments:

Nick said...

Kyler:

1. I was at the Coldplay concert earlier this week and used the concert ear plugs you got me...best idea ever. Thanks!

2. You should try and stop a little bit (or at least see the scenery) on the way down to San Fransisco. There are some incredible places along the coast! Oregon Coast (where lots of car ads are filmed), Portland (where Lauren will be at school next year) Monterey (Pebble Beach Golf Course), and one place you HAVE TO see...the red wood forests of northern california!

Frood Bird said...

Kyler!

Steven and I now have a place in Vancouver... if you plan on making a trip some time after September (when I move in), you should stop by!

Also, good luck on the rest of your travels; your trip so far looks awesome.

Cheers,
Ada