Better Start Small - 17. I enjoy bus travel

I have lot of good things to say about bus travel, which is contrary to the popular opinion of the bus.

It isn't like taking a plane. There is a lot less rigorousness in getting onto a bus. If your ticket is for a bus that leaves a few hours from now, just get on the one that is here now, no fuss.

Buses have huge windows. Enormous. There are no bigger windows on any vehicle that travels on the road. If you actually want to see stuff as you move, the bus is very good.

They don't lose your luggage. I only heard of one case of lost luggage on my whole trip.

You get to know people on your bus. Either you can actually talk to people, which does actually happen after 20 hours on a bus, or you just get to observe some of the same people over a 20 hour trip at all of the bus's stops. You sort of get to know the habits of complete strangers as you go from stop to stop. While it isn't a very deep bond, it was deep enough that I would have been able to stop the driver if he was leaving without someone. That simply doesn't happen on a plane. You can generally only see about 5 other people from your seat, if your lucky. There is just no camaraderie in air travel.

Very little security to deal with. While this might concern some people, I look at it from a different perspective. The people who I would be scared of on a plane, could get around airport security, so it is a null point.

I like the motion of buses. They are so big yet travel on roads that they are simply an enjoyable ride. Planes go straight and sometimes lean a bit. Buses go up and down hills, on highways, through small towns, down narrow streets, get stuck in traffic, and just move in a more enjoyable way.

I can sleep on a bus. A few things are required for this to work. No coffee. 1 am or 2 am bedtime. Some music. Adequate food. I sit upright and slowly let the music work its magic. At 2 am you will get drowsy. Take off the music and you will probably get to sleep. Don't get out at all the stops at night, they will only wake you up. Bring a sleeping bag or a jacket as a blanket. You won't get a good 8 hour sleep, but I can get about 6 fairly good hours of sleep.

No little bathrooms necessary. I went my whole trip without ever using the on board washroom. It would take horrible foresight for it to actually be needed.

You aren't as lost in a city when you get off the bus. A plane is pretty much a teleporter, you simply appear in a new city. A bus lets you see where you are before making you get off.

And finally, it can be much, much, much cheaper, especially in my case.

Kyler

No comments: