Love is not Chess

After my varied experience with girls and relationships, I think I have been able to distill all of my thinking and knowledge into one fairly simple bit of understanding:

Love is not chess.

You can’t use logic to win at love. You can’t use a strategy to win at love. You can’t play a few steps ahead. You can’t predict what is going to happen. Never let yourself fall into any habits that you might associate with playing chess and you will do better with relationships and love.

I suspect that this advice might have little meaning if you don’t play much chess, or simply if you have a different outlook on things than me. It has to do with how your mind works, everyone’s will be different.

So I guess you will have to figure out your own strategy (except of course I mean the strategy is actually to relinquish all strategy).

Kyler

3 comments:

Mory said...

Though I have yet to have any relationships with girls, I don't think your advice could help me. The way I play chess is to look for any move which looks interesting and fun, do it without thinking through the consequences, and then enjoy seeing what happens. I don't know whether that's appropriate behavior for dating or not, but it probably isn't what you have in mind.

Kyler said...

Your right in thinking that I am not referring to your method of playing chess. That is a very interesting way of playing chess, which I think was vaguely how I used to play. But after I got more competitive with it, it becomes more of a game of logic and resource management. It is only that type of logical chess which I am referring to in this post.

Anonymous said...

I should send this post to every INTJ I know.

-Z