Finally

After doing some life drawings tonight by copying pictures from a life drawing book, I finally understand the basics to making good life drawings (this does not mean that I can). It's all about seeing the actual form, seeing how the light actually is, deciding that light isn't good enough, making up your own light that follows the real rules dictated by the real life observation, draw what you made up. Also, it means seeing tiny subtle variations in the forms, and exaggerating them

I learned all this by looking at actually photographs in the book, trying to draw them, then looking at what the expert did to draw the same figure. They were completely making up all the lighting, it was literally coming from a different side.

I heard from somebody that it takes something like 1000 life drawings to be good at it. I think I might have hit something like 500 recently.

Kyler

1 comment:

msydor said...

1000, that explains it!

There is nothing harder than life drawing.