Fundamentally a Sculptor

Over the last few weeks I have realized something about myself. I am fundamentally a sculptor. Deep down, inside, the thing that I really am good at is sculpting. My definition of sculpting isn't really the traditional Michelangelo "i can sculpt naked people perfectly out of marble" definition. It is more related to how well I can think through 3d objects.

It must have all started when I was little playing with cards, building cards houses and stuff out of K'Nex. It then progressed when I began making things in 3d on the computer, or when I would design and build things for science olypmics. I always could clearly imagine how our science olympic contraptions would fit together to do whatever they were supposed to.

In art school, my first sculpture whas made of clay, a material I had worked with very little, and the teacher was exceedingly impressed with the results. And I remember being impressed how quickly I finished it. I find that sculpture has come fairly naturally in art school.

Now in my 3D rhino class, it continues to be apparent, when I can easily draw curves and know what shapes make up more complicated objects.

The final piece to this was when I realized how easily the elastic and wood project that was posted recently was for me to make. In comparaison with the attention and thought that I need to focus on a good drawing, it was a breeze.

What this all means, is that I know more accurately how I work. I know where my strengths are, what my weaknesses are.

This doesn't mean I want to become a sculptor full time. It simply means, that when I really need to get something done, and be creative, I need to consider sculptor more frequently. For many people, the creative process begins with sketchs. I need to consider that I might have to start with sculptures.

Kyler

No comments: