Learning to cook

Well my parents left for a two week vacation. And my brother left for a two week architecture camp (and he doesn't live at home anyways). And I have been watching Hell's Kitchen.

So now is the perfect time to learn to cook. The reasons for this are as follows.

1. I am cooking for myself. I don't have to worry about making others eat horrible food. I really don't care how bad it tastes since I only have myself to blame.

2. No one to tell me what to do. I can go at cooking exactly how I want to.

3. A lot of time to clean up and practice before having to show anyone any finished products.


So I have been approaching my cooking in the following way. Decided on one dish per night and shop for that dish on the way home from my work. I don't yet have the skills to really try to make lots of things at once. And if I did, I couldn't concentrate very well on the important things, and the learning would be hampered.

I've been vaguely following recipes, from 3 cook books at once.

I have made Risotto, Falafels, Braised Chicken, and Vegetable soup.

All were successes, except the soup was a little bland.

I would welcome dish suggestions. I don't care how hard it is as long as it isn't some 12 days process with millions of ingredients. Recipes aren't necessary, though if you have a good one I wouldn't mind receiving it.

Kyler

4 comments:

Erucolindo said...

mmm...

well...looks like it will be your turn to cook some time soon!

-k

Frood Bird said...

oooh you opened a pandora's box with me! try ratatouille - the ingredients are now in season
slow-cooked ribs (in the oven) are also super-easy

and my major recommendation is, use the Joy of Cooking cookbook, it's by far the best if you're learning how to cook

have fun!

Anonymous said...

Try this site for ideas. She is even a Calgarian.
http://dinnerwithjulie.com/

BS

Kyler said...

I actually wanted to try a Ratatouille, mostly because I love the movie.

I already have been using the Joy of Cooking. It is pretty much an encyclopedia.

Kyler