Road Trip Anatomists

Tiff, Sarah and I drove up to Edmonton to see the Body Works Exhibition that is being held there.

The Body Works exhibition is probably something that most people should see. There are tons of reasons to go. I won't even go into them.

But as for my reaction to the show, here it is.

I felt a very different reaction to these bodies than the ones that I saw at the anatomy lab. I actually had a very difficult time and never really succeed in seeing any of the pieces as actual people. They mostly ended up seeming to be exceptionally well craft anatomy models. Exceptionally well crafted anatomy models are worth seeing, but they offer something much different than the lab. I felt the lab offered a better understanding of what bodies actually were. They are bags of flesh held together around loosely linked bones, all wrapped in more bags, and filled with some more watery stuff.

The body exhibition left me with more a feeling of chiseled and sculpted forms. They are posed to suggest dynamism, but generally fall short.

I do realize the purpose of these two experiences is different, but I think one is much more powerful.

Here are some notable sketchs from the trip.













Kyler

No comments: