A Different Kind of Halloween Costume

I don't know exactly what it is, but I dislike the idea of dressing up in costume. Wearing hats and makeup makes me nervous. The only explanation I can really give is by opposition. I enjoy blending in and being anonymous in public by default, and only leaving that position by choice.

So Halloween is always a bit of a conundrum. I like participating in Halloween, and would hate to arrive at a Halloween party without a costume, yet I also don't want to where a costume.

So this year I found a very interesting solution. Instead of actually wearing a physical costume I went the route of Relational Art, and interacted with people in an interesting way. I had been given a set of string magic tricks for my birthday, so for Halloween, I learned magic.

Now with this idea, it was actually important that I didn't wear a costume. At the party I went to people would ask what my costume was, and I had a perfect opening for the magic.

The whole thing went astonishing well. People were really interested by the tricks. Sometimes I did them right, other times I messed up, but every time there was some real attention and interaction between people.

It also changed how I was at the party. I was more attentive because I was remembering what tricks I had shown who, so I could come back with more later. I was also being more attentive to the other people at the party. To do magic you really have to pay attention to your audience.

Also, as the party progresses, the influence of alcohol takes hold and people are more easily fooled, only contributing further to the fun.

Happy Halloween

Kyler

No comments: