Obama Ad

I watched the Obama thirty minute ad. It is fairly obvious to anyone in their right mind that if they were American, the right choice is Obama. That is not the topic of this post.

What I do want to explore is the danger that such ads present to the world.

My first questions is: was that ad a piece of propaganda? What is interesting about this question is not the answer, but the fact that I barely could convince myself that it needed asking. It was such a well conceived ad that I almost didn't ask it.

The answer is a resounding yes. Of course, all ads are. It is trying to convince America and the World that Obama is the man of for the job. That he is right, smart, perfect(even when he says he isn't).

So it is propaganda. Does that mean that it is false? No. It means nothing. There is nothing that anyone could ever say in an ad such as that, that can give you any facts about anything.

Why? Because in cases such as this, I always assume the worst. If there were a political party trying to take over America, exactly what would their ad be like? Well for one thing, if they were intent on winning, it would be perfect, just like this one. It is work of art made by writers, directors, actors and artists. I don't believe one word of anything like this. I am willing to questions everything Obama has said about what he will do and what he has done, and what he is like.

So if I don't believe anything that has been said, then how do we decide?

Well I don't turn to belief on issues such as this. There is no knowledge available that could convince me. So I turn to the same part of myself that knows how to gamble.

I gamble and guess when knowledge isn't available. Gambling is when you make choice about things you can't possibly know. But it isn't a fifty fifty game. We have the advantage when making a guess. When I look at this ad, there is no knowledge, no fact, but there are things to grasp at that let me decide. The primary piece of evidence that I have is something that I have already said. The ad is a fantastic work of art. This is a completely subjective observation, with only my best judgment and experience to guide me. But there is true artistry in this ad, and that is the part of it that isn't made up. It isn't fact, or knowledge, it is only something I can feel, and I would only make a bet using it, but in situations like this, I don't think there is anything better to make a decision with.


I'm sorry that this post completely divulged from where it started, and seems to contradict itself. Always assume what I write last is what I think is the most true. I'm not going to edit my changes of opinion because I think it might be interesting to read.

Kyler

No comments: