Beating me with sticks

"Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn."

This is a quote from Fahrenheit 451 (yet again).

It seems recently this quote has been helping me. In my painting class, we do a lot of talking. My teacher is exceedingly informative and the discussions are really great. However, for me to take part in these discussion, it usually requires me to say things that I know are might be wrong. I bring up topics that are interesting, but I introduce them very badly. I bring up things I have read, and I explain them badly. However, almost every time, after we have finished whatever we are discussing, it is usually apparent that something important has been figure out.

I usually just have to think of that quote in my mind before I say anything, I know why I am saying whatever stupid thing I need to say

Kyler

No comments: