Overwhelmed by the End

I feel overwhelmed with having finished the trip. 8500 pictures taken. At least 4000 words written. A whole bunch of sketches made. About 40 audio diaries to get through.
Tons of memories. I sort of feel like I don't know where to start.

I will start at the end.

I'm pretty sure I wrote this somewhere between Ottawa and Edmonton, probably in the middle of Ontario.


Purpose of the trip:

There was no single purpose or inspiration for this trip. Any major or significant project demands a number of purposes or reasons, known or unknown. Here are as many reasons as I can list for the trip.

1. To Assert my Independence -

Like any young person, an outlet to experience independence is necessary for continued development. This meant mostly being by myself and being independently responsible for my own well being.

2. To See a Multitude of Things -

This trip was an experience that caused me to see and experience a vast multitude of things. it will greatly contribute to my store of personal experiences that I will have in the future.

3. As a Photography Expedition -

By bringing along my fancy new lens I was given a role in most of the places beyond that of visitor. I had a camera to document my experience which will act as aids in remembering what occurred on the trip.

4. To be a Record Keeper -

As important as simply experiencing this trip has been, I have actively attempted to enhance the experience to remember it better.

5. To connect with Family and Friends -

Visiting family and friends is reason enough for any trip. It leads to so many interesting things.

6. A General Survey of North American Culture -

I needed to assure myself that what I thought about our culture was true.

7. To See Art -

This was accomplished by visiting museums and all the other wonderful places I went.

8. To Increase my Comfort Level -

A comfort level needs to be exercised. This is done by doing new things. Scaring yourself, staying in hostels and taking the bus. Have a very well exercised level of comfort, you can be comfortable anywhere, all the time.

9. A New Level of Friendliness with Strangers -

I have become more social with complete strangers. In all cases I have found strangers to be good people.

10. To learn new Things -

Through books, museums, audio, talking and thinking I have learned a lot.

11. To Think -

Being alone, with time and with a lot content, I have been able to think a lot.

12. To Get Away -

By leaving your life, you can view it a fresh.

13. Because it was interesting -

It just was.

14. As research into where I would like to live in the future -

15. To open up, fill up and expand my mental map of the world -

16. To Learn About Myself -

By eliminating the background noise of my life, I become clearer to myself.

17. I enjoy bus travel.

18. To see how others live.

19. To learn about parenthood -

I can be a good dad.

20. To learn about my family history.

21. Because I have been, and will always be, a Nomad


The twenty one thing just happened by accident, but it is a happy accident as I turn twenty on in a few weeks.

I'm going to get to everything. Like the photos and the stories from the trip, but if I tried to do it all at once I will be overwhelmed.

Maybe this post can be a guide to what I do next.

Well that is a fantastic idea. Expect any subsequent posts about the trip to follow this post as a guide.

Kyler

1 comment:

Mory said...

So you'll be writing 21 posts? That ought to keep you busy for the next year or so. :D