Motorcycle Zen of Reddit Philosophy

Reddit is my current hangout on the internet. It is one of those websites where you submit things and all of the other users on the site vote on it and make comments. Standard enough. For a few particular reasons, Reddit seems to be simply the best of those sites currently.

One reason is that they allow you to simply make a post without a link to anything else. Where as most sites require you to link to somewhere else on the internet, you can simply make a text post that will spark a discussion, and this discussion than becomes the center of interest.

A few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to see what the people of the Philosophy section of Reddit thought about the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. So a made a post and just started waiting for answers. As answers came in I would respond in an attempt to moderate and encourage discussion.

What followed was a few hours of interesting internet discussion.

What does r/philosophy think of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I really felt like I was doing a thorough job of moderating the discussion. Whenever someone said something without any explanation or evidence, I challenged what they said. I was extremely polite, but also quite blunt. I encouraged people to better explain themselves.

This is one of the first times I felt that I had personally done something in the space of the internet. Sure I have this blog, but I never really feel like it is the "Internet". This blog is just an offshoot of the internet where my friends tend to be, and where I like to keep my stuff.

Kyler

No comments: