Illusion

I am very enamoured by illusions.

Whenever I find a new one, I am intensely interested in it.

My most recent find was mime.  This video is quite incredible.

Tug of War from Karen Montanaro on Vimeo.

I ended up buying the dvd set because everything he is talking about is utterly related to animation.  It arrived today and I already learned a lot from the first hour.

But back to illusions.  I've been interested in animation, the illusion of movement, optical illusions, magic eye 3d illusions, magic tricks, card tricks, video games, computer graphics, binaural sound recording, motion tracking, stop motion, photosynths, high realism drawing and painting, virtual reality,  and probably a number of other things.

I'm pretty sure that I don't just like fake things, it's that I like knowing how to directly communicate to our perceptual systems.  This fantastic mime has stripped away everything but the bare essentials parts of what he is trying to communicate, which is a tug of war.

Every illusion is actually the result of a deep understanding.

Kyler

1 comment:

Rob said...

Ky,

My dad wants to know how your movie is going?

Can you put up a teaser trailer?

Robyn