Jobs

After working at my new job for nine days I have thought of a few things.

The first thing is how job descriptions correlate to what you actually do in your job. Technically, I am a CNC operator at my current job. However, at least on our current project, my job is actually styrofoam mover and breaker. It is not because those are the most interesting or technical advanced parts of the job, but because they are actually the most important since they are really the determining factor in how well I can do my job. The faster I move foam, and the faster I can break up the excess foam, the better I am at my job. All the computer stuff is really mindless and static.

I think I actually made my job more interesting and fulfilling since I started trying to figure out the best way to break foam. Maybe once I figure it out, I will share it.


This same idea of a true job description was apparent last year when I was security at the stampede. My job there was actually to walk in the sun all day and drink water. It was more of an endurance test than anything else.

At Futureshop, as a merchandiser, I was simply a force to move things. Myself, carts, products. That jobs was simply about movement, and getting things where they were supposed to be.

I think when I student-taught at the computer camp last year, my job matched it's description very well. There was little discrepencacy between what I thought I was getting into, and what I did.

I guess I could theorize that the closer what you do and what you think you are doing match up, the happier you can be in your job.

Kyler

No comments: