New Job

Well, as has happened every summer for the last few years, I struggle through the first few weeks of summer looking for a good summer job. I always find job searching exceedingly stressful. Though this year I had great success.

I applied to a company called Studio Y Creations. The company makes things that are used for display purposes. For example, if you needed a dinosaur for a museum, they do that. Or if you needed to make a building look like a castle, they do that. Alot of there work is shown on the website http://www.studioycreations.com. I sent in my resume with a portfolio and really no idea what job I would do there.

With a few persistent phone call, I got a tour, a little interview and a job. However the job I got was going to be spraying a hard rubber coating onto the initial styrofoam carvings that make whatever object they are making. This would have been fairly messy, and pretty much a good fit for the Dirty Jobs show. This had a bit of appeal for me and I would get my foot in the door at least.

Luckily, on my very first day, before even attempting this job of spraying things with a rubber coating, I got assigned to help with the CNC department. This department is the one that uses to control robotic machines that cut and sculpt different materials. This was the job I had a little bit of training for from my 3d modelling for Rapid Prototyping class. I very quickly learned how to do this job and now have a full time job as a CNC operator.

This job might seem sort of boring at first since almost all of the sculpture done at SYC is finished by hand. However I was became more excited as I figure out how important the CNC departements role is to the overall projects. It is really our job to get the initial construction started on all of the projects. We have to figure out how 30 blocks of styrofoam or going to turn into a dinosaur, or whatever we might be charged with making.

It is also a good job since I am always switching between working with computers and real material, switching between making things and breaking things. For everything we make, we make roughly the same amount of scrap which needs to be broken down for the recycling process.

Hope everyone else is having a good summer.

Kyler

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting job and what a great fit for you. Hope it works out we see you this summer.
ab