Car Jacking

A brief story from the road trip.

Coming home we stopped in Innisfail at a mall. When we were leaving, I went ahead to unlock the car. As I approach the car I pressed the remote unlock when I was about 6 paces away from the driver door. At the same instant, a woman approaching from the other side, much closer to the door, started to approach the door and lean in to open it.

First my mind took an account of what the woman looked like. Probably 50 years old. Paint splattered shirt. Frazzled looking hair. Didn't rule out some sort of criminal.

No obvious threat. First action taken. Lunging steps to close distance to the car.

Next thought. How could she steal my car if I have the keys on the outside... I don't know... Some sort of scheme I don't want to see play out might exist... I should stop this right now.

Second action taken. Slam partially open door shut and say extremely sternly "EXCUSE ME"

The women is completely horrified. But immediately realizes her mistake.

I realize her mistake. Threat averted. Begin emergency apology protocol.

There is another black car parked two spaces down from mine, also with remote key unlock. We had pressed the buttons simultaneously and she had heard the unlock sound, furthering the illusion.

At least I didn't tackle her.

Kyler

1 comment:

Frood Bird said...

brilliant punchline to a funny story... isn't it odd how suspicious we are of the world around us now-a-days?