Computers

I've been thinking too much about computers and their implication and their design, and how they relate with memetics, and life in general. I am thoroughly confusing myself.

I've asked myself the question of what my computer does for me, in hopes of thinking of how it should be designed. Or at least hoping that answer will lead me in a direction.

The obvious answer is that that I do work on my computer. I put together animations. Write blog posts. Do photography stuff. Communicate. Obvious task related answers.

But I know that answer is hollow. That is the obvious answer. I can tell there is something else that draws me to my computer.

I think we need to accept that computers aren't tools anymore.

Computers are almost like a building to me now. Sure you can do work in them. And have stuff in them, but there is something more to them. You can just be in them.

I'm currently living in my half of a residence room. It isn't really very much space to call a home, but I get the sense that if I didn't have my computer, I would be losing a gigantic space that I live in.

What does this mean?

Programs that are designed for working should really be designed with that in mind. I don't want to work and mess up the room that I live in. I want a new room that doesn't have any distractions in it and has everything I need in it.

It means I have to think about what it means to be able to live in the space of a computer. How can this be made to be better in line with my actual life. Is it healthy, can it be more healthy. So many questions.

All sorts of questions, no answer.

Kyler

No comments: