Master Craftsman

A goal has been forming in my mind.

The idea of a master craftsman is really old, goes back a long long time. Someone who knows their craft inside and out. Can answer every questions and knows everything there is to know. And they are also extremely physically skilled. They can see minute details in their work and have a great sense of feeling for what they do. They know the sound of their tools and the texture of their work.

A real master craftsman.

That is what I want to be.

But the question is how can I be a master craftsman in this modern era? I work both physically, yet also, to a great extent on the computer. What does it mean to be a master craftsman on a computer. Is it even possible?

I'm not sure I have ever met one yet. My 3d modeling teacher at ACAD was pretty close. I'm sure there are quite a few high up in the industry, but beyond that, it might be few and far between.

I think I am on the right track. When I think about doing things on the computer I feel that I really get a sense of the whole picture. I feel like I could go into a lot of depth into what computers are doing when I am using them. To me a computer isn't really a black box, where I put something in and something magic comes out. And in many of the same ways I described craftsman as having a "feel" for their work, I get the sense that I have developed a similar type of feel for computers. I know how to crash them, or how not to. I know what to ask of them and what not to.

Hopefully this whole craft with someday be figured out better and all of the little annoyances will be ironed out.

Maybe later what I say here will be more clear.

Kyler

No comments: