Wall-E Revisited Again

Well, apparently reading about memetics and being in animation school in a year has changed me.

I watched Wall-E today and it is pretty much a perfect movie. The only caveat to its perfect is the fact that it is a Pixar movie, which means that there are constraints on its design. Mostly being that it needs to feel like a Pixar movie.

Just for a moment think about evolution, survival of the fittest. Imagine a hypothetical situation in which the human race was being wiped out. Imagine how tough the last million people would be. Imagine how tough the last 1000 people would be. Imagine how tough the last person would be. Imagine the story that would go along with that last person alive, how many obstacles they would have to overcome and battles they would have to win.

Now put that story in the context of Wall-E. Wall-E is the last one, and because of that he is special, because of that he is capable of incredible things.

Hopefully that helps explain why I thought it was so go this time around.


And also the animation is spectacular from a minimalist or formalist level.

What is the best way of presenting animation and performance so that the animation and performance are the focal point? Well by completely getting rid of human bodies the animation takes unexpected precedence over everything else.

Also, the story design of this film is incredible. Every little detail links together spectacularly. I didn't see all of these little links the first time through.


I guess everything deserves a second chance, except never approach it from the same angle, I'm fairly certain it was only with the time and new experiences that I have had that I really got that movie.

Now I can be over excited for Up.


Kyler

4 comments:

Mory said...

Also, the first time you saw it you may have been coming in with assumptions and misconceptions about what it was supposed to be about, which led to frustration. Now you already know what it is.

Kyler said...

And I was still a little delusional about speed racer and was looking for the same things that I thought made Speed Racer great in Wall-E, which made things even worse.

Anonymous said...

I know you are an arts student and in typical arts student fashion you seem to analyze everything. Do you ever look at a movie or book (or anything for that matter) and just take it for what it is, at face value? Do you find that because you are forced to anlyze so often that everything has to be dissected and critiqued or can you just take something for what it is on the surface?

This isn't any sort of attack or anything, I am just curious if it is a conscious effort or if it second nature now to you?

Kyler said...

The things that I am interested in the most, I analyze the most. And I would say that I feel that I get more enjoyment out of things by well analyzing them.

But as for taking things for what they are on the surface, I would say that I approach music from the surface. I generally feel like I can just enjoy music without getting into any deep analysis.

As for it being a conscious effort, or second nature: the answer is it is second nature to start making interpretive links between things, and then I start to consciously think about what I have linked.

Now my question to you is: do I know you or are you a random passerby from the internet? Do you analyze or take things at the surface level?