The Crescendo Step



Here is my final from first year at Concordia's Film Animation Program. We were supposed to do something simple, and I think that is what I achieved. Yet only the concept is really simple. On a technical front I was able to mix pencil 2d animation, with 2d cutout animation and put in camera moves, and a new dissolve effect.

Now the really thought provoking thing was when I realized that all of my animations have actually been stick figures. Enrikey, The Crit, and now this animation are all stick figures. But further than that they all act as the same character. What I'm starting to realize is that I have actually been making self portraits. The stick figures have always acted as I would act, or at least how I act when I am alone.

There is something unforced when I animate like this. I'm pretty sure that I don't need to fight this tendency of self portrait, I'm pretty sure if I embrace it I should be able to shoot it off into new directions.

Anyways, enjoy the animation.

I have also posted it on Vimeo. Check it out there if you don't mind just to generate some traffic. Vimeo is a really nice video site that has higher production quality stuff.

Kyler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

KYLER!
This is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hello Kyler

Amazing!!!! Funny thing I was telling Dad before I read your blog that the video was of you running down Mount Montreal. Do you sort of agree?
Love M

Kyler said...

I actually ran up Mount Royal on Wednesday afternoon and I realized that I had pretty much exactly replicated the experience in my animation. Its funny that the relationship is only so clear after the fact. While I was making it the relationship wasn't as clear.