From Edmonton, Onto Kelowna, Through To Vancouver

So the trip has continued unhindered. I stayed in Edmonton till thursday night with my grandma Norma. We had a nice simple visit together. We went on a walk to see my grand fathers memorial tree, and we made fudge, and we watched a movie.



I also took some time at her house to take pictures of the stuff around her house. She has traveled the world and has a great sense of taste and thus has an amazingly well decorated house. Most peoples nicknaks are just junk, but her's are definitly treasures.





Grandma then dropped me off at the Greyhound Station and my real bus adventure started.



I took the bus all the way to Kelowna overnight. The only unfortunate part of taking the bus is that it stops everywhere. Roughly every hour the bus will make a stop at some small town to pick up one or two people, or to drop off a package. This made sleep very difficult. But I think I will get the hang of it.

I have to say that taking the bus is exceptionally relaxing to any other type of transportation I have taken. You have lots of space to sit in. Great big windows to look out of. It is probably the closest thing you could find to taking the train, except more convenient because it actually goes where I want to go.

So in Kelowna I stayed in a hostel for 3 days. I pretty much realized that hostels are really equivalent to living in residence. They just seem to share alot in common with each other. I can't say that I really jumped into the whole hostel experience, that just doesn't feel like the point of the trip. I did however meet some people, and was able to have a barbecue with a whole Australian Rules Football team. Though I can't say that I fit in well with that crowd.

I spent most of my time in Kelowna finding a nice spot to sit and read. I finished off two books while I was there.

And as always I took lots of pictures while in Kelowna.




I think there will be alot of this type of handheld self portrait on this trip or else there we be barely any photos of me. Or I could go all Survivor Man and set up my camera to take pictures of myself doing stuff in action.



And now I am in Vancouver, I seem to have gotten here at a great time as there was a frenzy of activity tonight, with a whole bunch of people showing up for dinner.

I'm happy to be on this trip and I am slowly honing in on the actual purpose of the trip. It doesn't feel like most other trips that I have been on. It is a peculiar experience to show up in a city by yourself and see what happens. I can really tell that I am doing exactly what I would do.

Take for instance my arrival in Kelowna. I had just arrived after an overnight bus ride, having slept badly and not eaten much. Yet I decided to walk 5 Km with my full bags weighing roughly 55 lbs to the hostel I was staying at. Why? To make sure I could cary my bags that far and to see the city. With a group I would have never done that, but alone, why not.

As I observe how my trip is going I will continue to keep you informed.

And as always, more photos in the full Album
Kyler

No comments: