Sketching as scales

In the past few months I've started something new with my drawing process. When I am just warming up I've started using the same thought process behind piano scales. You need to practice the techniques that you are going to use in the actual art. In piano, this means chords, note progressions and all sorts of other things. In drawing, this means connecting lines, drawing shapes, making even lines, making progressions of shapes, making straight lines, joining curves. It can mean all sorts of things. So now when I start, I generally make up drawing activities to get myself into it even if I have nothing to sketch really.

Some of the following sketches are the result of that warm up. Others are preparation for animation I was working on.


















Kyler

No comments: