Importance of Breakfast

I have a suspicion that the belief that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is wrong. My evidence: I haven't really had breakfast in the last four months. I haven't felt anything wrong with my body and have actually noticed that I don't need a mid morning snack anymore.

My main theory of why not having breakfast works so well is that by not eating for the eight hours you sleep, your bodies energy system will begin eating away at it's stored energy. If in the morning you have a small breakfast, you will cut the stored energy process off and simply use the new food as your energy in the morning.

By midmorning you will have used up all the energy of your breakfast, and your body will attempt to restart the process of using your stored energy, but it will be of no avail and you will be hungry before lunch.

Therefore there is no point to breakfast. Maybe if I woke up at 6 in the morning, and only ate small dinners, than it would make more sense, but not in my current life.

Kyler

4 comments:

Mory said...

I haven't eaten a breakfast in years. I do believe two meals a day is the way to go. Though, I barely care about health so what's my opinion worth?

Anonymous said...

I thought that eating breakfast gets the metabolism going. If you didn't eat from dinner time the night before (let's say 7) until lunch the next day (noon), you'd be starving your body for almost 17 hours. That can't be good for you! Food keeps you going!

Kyler said...

Your right that it probably gets the metabolism going, but in my mind it is the wrong part.

If you eat a small breakfast I think your body will start absorbing energy from the sugar in your breakfast and whatever carbohydrates are in it. These won't last for that long, and you body will need to revert to getting energy from stored fat. I suspect this process takes sometime to actually start working well, so you get tired or hungry before it has a chance to really kick in.

I'm not taking medicine and haven't researched this, it's only based on little bits of things I've heard and personal experience.

Frood Bird said...

hmmm... i have to disagree with you Kyler.
I'm a strong proponent of breakfast = better day, because that's how it works for me. Also, I don't eat sugar or carbs for breakfast, I have protein and fibre, which fills you up and keeps you on a slow burn of energy for much longer. However, I do have a small dinner at around 5, so maybe that has something to do with it. Whatever works for you, I guess!