Rediscovery of Sculpture

Well, it has happen again. I have rediscovered that I can sculpt. I discovered this once before in the post Fundamentally a Sculptor. But for some reason the lesson never seems to stick. I think it is because I have never really challenged myself to stick with it very long. But now I am going to get some plasticine, some armature wire and really start sculpting stuff in the same way that I would sketch things. Maybe I will even be able to animate some of them. That would be pretty cool.

What really got me to figure out how to sculpt with plasticine was when I figured out that I can't sculpt by primarily pushing the material around with my fingers. I needed to cut the material away. I have been using an Ulfa knife for the time being, until I get a few more tools.

This first image is almost the first thing I made after discovering to use a knife to carve. All of my anatomy and drawing abilities immediately became apparent. I knew exactly what I needed to do. I felt limited by my dexterity and my tools.



This little SUV was made because I have modeled it before in a 3d program, so it just seemed like a natural thing to try to make.

This was when my break through really happened. I just decided to attempt to make a female figure from my knowledge of anatomy. I didn't have wire for an armature, or enough plasticine, thus I couldn't complete it. What astonished me was the speed and ease with which I made it. It couldn't have been more than ten minutes, likely it was less, I don't know.






Anyways, I am going to keep this up, get more materials and tools as it will prove infinitely useful for my puppet animation class, my 3d animation class, and as a great skill to have.

Kyler

2 comments:

Erucolindo said...

the back of it is brilliant

wee you more tentative on the front?

Frood Bird said...

Kyler, that female figure is beautiful! I'd love to see where you go with sculpting. :)